Hello! Linsey here today sharing these cute handmade ornaments that are sure to delight any vintage lover. These charming bird ornaments are made from old book paper layered with Goldmine Designer Foils and Bloomers Design Adhesives. Come along and see how easy it is to create some unique ornaments for the holidays this year!
Start with an book that is okay to alter or pages from an old dictionary. Draw your own bird pattern or find one online and scale to appropriate size for the 2″x2″ mini canvas it will go on. Cut birds out from book print paper like so.
While the birds are drying, paint a layer of white Gesso over the mini canvases. Let dry.
Add interest to the birds with Design Adhesives and Designer Foils. They are so easy to use and create a marvelous effect:
- Peel the backing from the Design Adhesives to expose the adhesive side.
- Press the adhesive side down onto the surface where the image is to be applied.
- Rub the image until the backing peels away
- Press the dull silver side of the Designer Foils onto the adhesive image. Rub until the foil sheet peels away.
Next, add a bit of dimension to birds by sponging around them with ColorBox® Cat’s Eye® Chalk Ink in Deep Lagoon. Add a black dot for an eye if you wish.
Now, decoupage the bird to dry mini canvas and add a bit of crimped paper shred and a small feather for a nest, gluing down at the base of the bird. Add optional embellishments such as glitter, mini charms and texture gel to mini canvas. Finally, add a looped string to the top of mini canvas so that it can be hung from the tree or added to the top of a wrapped present.
Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you have gained a bit of holiday inspiration and will try making some vintage book page ornaments too!
Clearsnap® Supplies Used:
- Izink Pigment Ink- Turquoise
- Izink Spray Bottle
- Designer Foils- Goldmine
- Design Adhesives- Bloomers
- ColorBox® Cat’s Eye® Chalk Ink- Deep Lagoon
- Twinkle Dust by Donna Salazar- Pralines and Cream
Other Supplies Used:
- Old book or Dictionary
- 2″x2″ mini canvas frames
- White Gesso
- Gel Medium or Mod Podge
- Glass Bead Glitter Gel (texture gel)
- Black pen
- White crimped paper shred
- Vintage inspired charms
- Natural hemp twine