As fall finally arrives in earnest, I feel its time to get this season of giving really going. Nothing is better than finding the perfect gift, with the exception of that gift being handmade and from the heart. This year I have found a love of essential oils and I plan to share that love by giving my favorite essential oil recipes packaged in these adorable recipe boxes that I’ve handcrafted and decorated with Clearsnap’s ColorBox ink.
To create a recipe box to give, gather the following supplies:
- ColorBox Classic Pigment Ink (in Magenta, Moss Green, and Abyss)
- ColorBox Classic Pigment Metallic Ink (in Gold)
- White Cardstock
- Large Background Stamp or Stencil
- White Seam Binding Ribbon
- Sizzix Recipe Box Die
- Gift for the inside
Here’s how to put it all together:
- Cut pieces of the recipe box following instructions on die packaging. I used a Sizzix die but any die or pattern for making a box will do. If you don’t have a diecutting system, you can find box patterns online by searching Pinterest.
- Stamp the body of the box with ColorBox Classic Pigment Metallic Ink in Gold with any snowflake background stamp. Heat the ink to dry it completely as pigment ink has a slow dry time.
- Next, apply ColorBox Classic Pigment Ink in Magenta to the front flap of the recipe box by pressing the paper flap into the inkpads. Make sure the flap is fully covered with color.
- Finally, use ColorBox Classic Pigment Ink in Moss or Abyss to color the seam binding ribbon. Toss the ribbon in a lingerie bag in the clothes dryer to dry it completely before using. You can use a heat gun to dry the ribbon but be careful to avoid charring.
Since pigment ink needs to be heat set, be sure heat set all inked pieces using a heat tool of your choosing if you have not done so yet. Once heat set, use the ColorBox Classic Pigment Metallic Ink in Gold to directly apply a bit of wonderful gold shimmer to the ribbon by lightly rubbing the inkpad across the ribbon. Repeat heat set before final assembly.
Once all pieces are dried, assemble the box according to the directions on the die or the pattern you’re using. The final step to this thoughtful gift is to include favorite recipes inside.
A handmade gift such as this Essential Oil Recipe Box, is not only an incredibly thoughtful gift for your favorite people, but is also fun to make. Take time this year to think about those we love and care about. Create gifts to share and enjoy. And, most importantly, enjoy those around you in thought and in person.