Tami Sanders here today with your NEW! card sketch for August as well as a sample card made using the sketch.
I’ll be sharing a NEW! card sketch with you each month, usually on the 13th, as well as showing you tips and techniques for using inks and more from Clearsnap on your cards and projects.
Here is August’s sketch (click sketch to enlarge)…
Here is the sample card made using this month’s sketch…
This card was created using ColorBox® Doodlebug Pigment Ink, Clear ColorBox® Embossing Powder and several different stamps and stamp and and die sets from Sizzix, Hampton Art and Doodlebug Designs.
Notice how NICE, CRISP and CLEAR the “fine print” and polka dots stamped and embossed on the butterflies. ColorBox® Pigment Ink Pads are SO juicy and SO great to stamp with and the stamps and dies from Sizzix and Hampton Art for Doodlebug stamp and cut FABULOUSLY!
When I use pigment inks, I like to emboss them because I am IMPATIENT! Pigment inks are formulated to be slow drying, so they either need dry time or heat setting to make them smudge-proof. My problem is that I want my project NOW, so I don’t take enough time drying the inks properly. One of my favorite tips when working with pigment inks, is to dry the ink partially using a heat tool, then to go ahead and emboss to ensure all the ink is set. You get a little bit of gloss and shine this way. It’s also a great technique to use to create different textures in your stamped projects. Let some parts dry or heat set them, fully emboss some areas, then partially emboss others. The hearts below were partially heat set before embossing…
- the sentiment was cut a little longer, the ends were dovetailed and it was matted to stand out a little more
- the butterflies were matted on portions of stamped and diecut frames to accent them
The butterflies were adhered to the card using 3D Foam Squares and their wings were slightly bent up to add more dimension.
Each butterfly was adorned with a coordinating jewel, also from Doodlebug. It’s great to have so many embellishments that match the ColorBox® Doodlebug Pigment Ink colors! You’ll find border and alpha stickers, twine, washi tape, mini pearls, mini jewels and MORE!
- ColorBox® Doodlebug Pigment Ink: Swimming Pool, Tangerine, Bubblegum and Beetle Black
- ColorBox® Embossing Powder: Clear
- Doodlebug Design: Mini Jewels and Fancy Frills Cardstock Stickers in: Bubblegum, Swimming Pool and Tangerine
- Sizzix: Hampton Art: Doodlebug Design: Flower Friends and Frames Stamp & Die Sets
- Hampton Art: Doodlebug Design: Flower Garden Stamp Set
- Bazzill: Cardstock: Kraft, Black and White
- Westcott: TrimAir Titanium Paper Trimmer
- Beacon Adhesives: Zip Dry
- 3L: Scrapbook Adhesives: 3D Foam Squares
If you use a sketch to create a card, please share it with us on Facebook!
About Tami Sanders
Tami Sanders will be creating our monthly card sketch as well as an inspiration card for us each month! An instructor, designer, blogger, and crafter, Tami’s diverse style and knack for creating beautiful home decor and papercraft projects makes her projects appealing to everyone. Tami has worked with Clearsnap for nearly a decade as a designer for our classes, catalog samples, and designs for product packaging and print advertising. We’re honored to continue working with her through our blog as well as behind-the-scenes with our corporate offices.